Zinio, the world’s largest newsstand, offers full color, interactive digital magazines for your enjoyment. Browse from your library’s collection of popular titles with no holds, no checkout periods, and no limit to the number of magazines you can download.
The Southwest Kansas Library System Zinio Project, is a joint venture between the libraries in southwest Kansas and the Southwest Kansas Library System to provide digital magazines for library patrons.
Alphabetical list of available magazines (magazines highlighted in yellow are new and magazines in red are available in Spanish)
You will need to create a library portal account to checkout magazines.
For this account you will need:
- a valid email address
- your library’s 4 or 5 digit code
- your library card number
- a password with a combination of 7 or more letters and numbers.
Creating your Library Portal Account:
(The Library Portal will be where you checkout your magazines)
- On the Library portal, (http://zinio.swkls.org)- click Create New Account in the upper-right corner.
- Enter your library’s access code + your library card number. The library access code is a 4 or 5 digit code you can obtain from your library. You sould enter something that looks similar to this: abc123456
- In the pop-up window – enter your name, email address, and the password of your choice. (Your password will need to be at least 7 characters and contain letters and numbers.)
- Click the Create Account button.
Once your account is created, you’ll automatically be logged in and can begin to browse the Library’s collection and check out magazines.
Browsing the Library’s Zinio Collection:
There are three ways to browse the Library’s magazine collection:
- Go to the Library portal (http://zinio.swkls.org). (Remember you will always check out magazines in the portal)
- Scroll through the cover display.
- Conduct a title search.
- Select an option from the drop-down topics menu.
Checking Out Your First Magazines:
- When you find a magazine you want to check out, click on it and then click Checkout or click on the Checkout Now icon in the search screen.
- You’ll be presented with the option to Keep Browsing or Start Reading.
- When you’re ready to start reading, the magazine will start streaming in your browser window.
- If you would like to read your magazine on your smartphone, iPad, Android tablet, or Android phone. Install the app in the corresponding app store and log in with your Zinio Library Portal Account.
Checking Out and Reading Library Zinio Magazines Video:
Magazines can be read online when you login to zinio.swkls.org (the Library Portal), Zinio.com, or via the Zinio for Libraries or Zinio app for your computer or mobile device. You can find the Zinio app at the bottom of the Library portal or by searching your device’s app store.
NOTE: When installing the app, if you have an iPad or Android device, we recommend you install the Zinio for Libraries app and not the Zinio app.
- Magazines are checked out on an individual issue basis. Check back often for new issues!
- Back issues of some titles are available from Summer 2013 – present.
- All downloaded issues of each magazine remain in your Zinio.com library unless you delete them.
Occasionally, you may need to logout of the Zinio app on your mobile device and log back in to synch your library.
Managing Your Library:
To manage your checked out magazines:
- Log into the Library portal, (zinio.swkls.org)
- Click on the My Collection link.
- This will take you a list of all of the magazines you have checked out.
- You can remove magazines from your list by clicking on the trash icon
- Or read a magazine by clicking on the read icon.
If you change your mind or remove a magazine by accident, you can restore it. From Your Library page on Zinio.com, select View removed in the second drop-down menu and click Edit your reading list to restore magazines.
NEW!! New Issue Notification
You can now receive email notifications when the next issues are available of your favorite magazines. To sign up do the following:
- Go to Zinio Library Portal (http://zinio.swkls.org)
- Log into your account.
- Click the drop-down next to your name and click on My Preferences.
- Click the add button next to the magazines you would like added
- Click on Update.
You can also click on the “email me when the next issue available button” when checking out a magazine.
Zinio is compatible with most PC’s, Macs, and any device that is app capable. You can find the Zinio app at the bottom of the Library portal (http://zinio.swkls.org), on Zinio.com, or by searching your device’s app store. (If you have an iPad or Android device, we recommend that you install the Zinio for Libraries app.)
Downloading Magazines to a Laptop to read off line:
You will need to download two (2) programs to be able to save magazines to your laptop to read when you do not have the internet access.
- If you haven’t already, you will need to create a zinio.com account using the same email address you used to create your Zinio for libraries account. (This account is only needed so that you can sync your Zinio for Libraries magazines with the Zinio.com reading app. )
- Download Adobe Air
- Download the free Zinio Reader App which is located on the Zinio.com Reader Page.
If you have any questions or need help, see Zinio’s Help & FAQ page or contact your library.
Zinio for Libraries iPad Instructions (coming soon)
Zinio for Kindle Devices Instructions (coming soon)
Instructions updated 04/07/2015